Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Caraway Cauliflower Soup

This is a spicy soup, reminiscent of rye bread. I would have a picture, but I usually serve it in canning jars that I take to work. They aren't photogenic.


Ingredients:

1 head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
Enough water in a large pot to cover all the florets
Salt for the water (to taste, start with a tsp or two)
6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tbsp caraway seeds
1 tsp ground peppercorns
1 tsp rosemary leaves
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes (optional, and to taste)


Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn it down to medium-low and simmer until the cauliflower is fork tender. Drain off most of the water into a dish, reserving at least 2 cups of it.

Puree cauliflower until creamy and smooth, adding the reserved water back as you blend to get the desired consistency. I use a stick blender right in the pot to do this. With a regular blender, make sure to open the vent in the lid and cover it with a dishcloth to prevent the steam from building up and exploding hot soup all over. Don't ask me how I know this.

Serve with more black pepper and a little olive oil drizzled into the soup.

Alternatively, you can skip the puree part and just serve the drained cauliflower florets with butter and pepper.

Sometimes I cook rice in the rest of the reserved broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment